How to make coffee at home: 5 ways for a perfect homemade brew
Like many people, you probably enjoy a few cups of coffee a day. On the road, a cup or two at the office and at home. Most of us own a coffee maker or espresso machine to brew that perfect cup of hot coffee. There are many ways to enjoy delicious coffee at home. We love to share the secret of a good cup of coffee, whether you own a pour over or enjoy coffee pods.
No worries - we are here to help you out in the wonderful world of coffee variety that we live in today.
HOW TO BREW THE PERFECT COFFEE FROM YOUR COFFEE POD MACHINE:
Coffee pods and espresso capsules are one of the most popular ways to brew coffee nowadays. With the easy use, luxury machines that offer great selection in taste and ways to recycle your used coffee pods, it’s not really surprising.
Steps coffee pod machine:
- Make sure your machine is compatible with the pods of your choice.
- Always use fresh water in your container for optimal results.
- Switch on your machine. Wait until the machine has warmed up.
- Rinse the machine by letting water flow through, without using a capsule. You can also do this after every use.
- Pick the capsule of choice. Insert the capsule in the machine. Close the slider.
- Select the coffee drink of your choice: ristretto, lungo or espresso.
POUR IT YOURSELF: HOW TO MAKE POUR OVER DRIP COFFEE
Coffee connoisseurs swear by measuring and pouring their own drip coffee. This popular brewing method is called slow brewing and is actually quite affordable. Using this method takes a bit of time and practise, but results are amazingly delicious when done right. You can start your slow brewing adventure with either a pour over, drip or a Chemex coffee maker. You use a similar technique for all of them.
Steps pour over drip coffee:
- Add a filter to your pour over, rinse it with a bit of (boiling) water to remove the filter flavour. Throw away the water in the container.
- Measure fresh water for your cup(s). Bring it to a boil, let it rest for about 30 seconds.
- Measure around 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per cup and add it to the filter. You get the best results with pre-ground coffee that has the consistency of either sand or table sugar. But you can also grind your own fresh coffee beans.
- Pour a bit water that is just off the boil over the ground coffee, use a circular motion to completely immerse the coffee in water.
- Leave the wet ground coffee mixture to bloom. During blooming, the coffee absorbs the water and releases the flavour. This takes about 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour the rest of the water into your pour over. Use a circular movement and start about half an inch from the edge. When the coffee is immersed, pour straight down slowly.
- Let the water drip through the coffee and filter, this can take up to 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the filter and pour the coffee in your cup..
HOW TO USE A FRENCH PRESS FOR COFFEE
Another cost-efficient way to brew your coffee is the French press. It has a built-in filter and is perfect when you brew one or two cups. Use a medium ground coffee in a French press, because fine ground coffees pass through the filter, resulting in muddy, gritty coffee.
Steps French press:
- Place your French press on a flat surface, hold the handle firmly.
- Pull out the plunger with the filter. Lay aside.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of ground coffee per cup (around 150-200 millilitres).
- Boil fresh water (150-200 millilitres per cup), leave it off the boil for around half a minute.
- Pour the water that is not quite boiling over your ground coffee. Stir gently.
- Carefully reinsert the plunger with the filter just above water and ground coffee. Let your coffee and water mixture rest for about 4 minutes.
- Press down slowly. Using steady pressure.
- Leave the plunger down to avoid coffee grounds in your cup and pour your coffee.
Always wash and dry your French press thoroughly after each use to keep enjoying the best results. To make sure you don’t clog your filter with finely ground coffee. Grinding your own coffee beans to medium is the best option for this method.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR FILTER COFFEE MAKER
Coffee machines made our lives a whole lot easier. And, although the machine does almost all the work for us, there are still ways to brew our drip coffee to perfection. Use ground coffee of high quality for the best result.
This brewing method brings out the fresh tones in your coffee. For a well-rounded taste, use L’OR Classique ground coffee. Smooth and well-balanced flavours are perfect for an enticing cup. Looking for a bit more of a pick me up? Try the Intense ground coffee.
Steps filter coffee:
- Rinse your filter before placing it in the machine. This reduces a possible paper-like flavour.
- Use a coffee that is well-suited for drip coffee machines.
- Use fresh water in the reservoir.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of ground coffee into the filter.
- Push the button and wait until the water has passed through the filter.