A subtle coffee flavour
Coffee cake recipe with espresso
This airy and moist coffee cake has a subtle coffee flavour that makes you crave for another slice. The full flavours of the espresso make the cake even more tasty. Perfect for catching up with your best friend over a warm cup of coffee. Homemade coffee cake is easy with this recipe. Just slide the tin in the oven and enjoy!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Oven time: 60 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan.
- Brew 80 or 160 ml espresso (L'OR Onyx or Supremo 2 to 4 capsules) and let it cool to room temperature.
- Use an electric mixer to mix the butter, sugar and vanilla extract (or vanilla sugar) until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing until combined before adding the next egg.
- Add the espresso to the mixture, beat well and sift in the flour and fold in until incorporated.
- Put your mixture in a greased cake tin, and place in the oven on the middle shelf.
- Bake for around 60 minutes, and remove it slowly from the oven.
- Use a skewer to check if the middle is baked through, if it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If not, bake for 5 more minutes and check again.
- Let your cake cool before you take it out of the tin. Looking for some variation? Make a coffee cake with chocolate. Put one half of your mixture in the tin and mix the other half with 100g of pure melted chocolate, before you add it to the tin. You can also add pecans, walnuts to the mixture, or top your coffee cake with shaved almonds.