Match made in heaven
Chocolate with coffee is a true match made in heaven. Mocha cake, sometimes also called Moka cake in other countries, is a favourite of many coffee lovers. With this mocha cake recipe you will surprise all your guests! Whether you're looking for an impressive dessert for Christmas, or a not-too-difficult cake for Sunday afternoon: this cake meets all your needs. Simple and impressive, it’s a rich cake, so a small piece is enough. Your guests will love this delicious mocha chocolate cake flavour!
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooling time: 2 hours
For a 26 cm tin
For the bottom of the mocha cake:
- 350 grams of wheat biscuits with chocolate (or other biscuits)
- 125 grams butter
For the ganache (filling):
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 40 ml espresso- try L'OR L'OR Espresso Forza capsules, powerful with a hint of chocolate
- 250 gr dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 50 gr butter
For the chocolate whipped cream (topping):
- 250 ml whipped cream
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 sachet whipped cream stabilizer
Preparation of the mocha chocolate cake
For the bottom:
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Crumble the cookies. For example in a food processor or with a mortar.
- Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter.
- Cover the tin with baking paper. Use the biscuit mixture to cover both the bottom and sides of the tin.
- Press with a spoon. Place the tin in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- You can now work on the cake filling of mocha ganache:
- Make a cup of coffee of your choice. We recommend to use L'OR Espresso Forza coffee pods they offer a strong coffee taste with hints of chocolate. This fits very well with the rest of the cake.
- Stir the cream with the honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add 40 ml of coffee.
- Put the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Pour the boiling cream-coffee mixture over it. Stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Add the butter. Use a hand mixer to make a ganache.
- Remove the mocha cake base from the fridge and pour the ganache on top.
- Leave to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
The base of your Chocolate Mocha Cake is now ready. You can add a topping of your choice. Think of whipped cream, chocolate whipped cream or coffee whipped cream. The recipe for chocolate whipped cream can be found below. For coffee whipped cream, replace the cocoa with coffee powder.
For the topping of chocolate whipped cream:
- Stir the cocoa, sugar and water together until it forms a paste.
- Mix in the cream and the whipped cream stabilizer.
- Beat the chocolate cream mixture with a mixer or food processor.
- If it has become a light chocolate whipped cream, it is ready for use.
- Decorate the mocha cake with the chocolate cream.
- Optionally, you can decorate it with chocolate flakes.
- Serve your cake.
Now you can serve this delicious mocha cake to your guests, who are sure to love this flavour combination. If your guests want to make this mocha cake themselves, you can easily send them the recipe.
Tip: Would you like to serve a delicious drink with this mocha coffee cake? We recommend you make Viennese coffee with it. This coffee is easy to prepare and you don't need many ingredients. The delicious combination of Vienna coffee together with this mocha coffee cake will certainly please both you and your guests.